Skip to main content

Burn Day Information / Burn Permits

During certain times of the year and in certain parts of the state, residential landscape debris burning of dead vegetation is allowed. However, homeowners should always call (530) 621-5897 before burning. Burn permits may be required and during the dry months, CAL FIRE will suspend burning altogether.


  • Call (530) 621-5897 before burning
  • Maximum pile size 4 foot in diameter.
  • Clear all flammable material and vegetation within 10-feet of the outer
    edge of pile and down to the bare earth. 
  • Keep a water supply close to the burning site.
  • An adult should be in attendance with a shovel until the fire is out.
  • No burning shall be undertaken unless weather conditions (particularly
    wind) are such that burning can be considered safe.
  • Burn only dry, natural vegetation, grown on the property in open piles.
  • Burning trash, garbage, plastic, and treated lumber is not allowed by El Dorado County Air Quality Management District.

When can you burn?
Burning can only be done on permissive burn days. Burning permits are only valid on “Permissive Burn Days” as determined by the State Air Resources Board or the local air district. To find out if it is a Burn Day, call (530) 621-5897

IMPORTANT: CAL FIRE Burn Permits are only for within the State Responsibility Area (SRA), or where CAL FIRE has jurisdictional authority.  For information and permits required outside the SRA / CAL FIRE jurisdiction, contact your local City/County fire authority. If the status in your county is marked as “Burning Allowed”, you still must confirm that it is a permissive burn day with El Dorado County Air Quality Management District. The contact phone numbers will appear on your permit.

Violations Of Any Burning Permit Terms Are A Violation Of State Law (Public Resources Code 4421, 4422, 4423 And 4425).

Join our mailing list