In 1854 the citizens of the Georgetown community developed fire protection via a loosely organized group known as the Mountain Hook and Ladder Company. The Georgetown Fire District was legally formed as a political governmental agency in 1938. In 1939, the District purchased its first new engine, a Studebaker that was restored in 2000 by the Georgetown Volunteer Firefighters and in particular, Captain Bill Mahl (retired).
The District saw slow continuous growth over the years. Presently, the District covers 96 square miles containing 2330 parcels. The population of the District is about 6,500. The District has one elementary school, an alternate education primary grade school facility, and a small K-4 schoolhouse within its boundaries. Commercial development is located in primarily two geographical areas of the District within a mile of each other. In addition, there is a general aviation airport, a water treatment facility and two bulk propane plants that are known target hazards.